Friday, April 10, 2015

False Advertising

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to write a blog about the dangers of downloading software. You see these commercials all the time about "My Clean PC" and how the individual's computer is 'so much faster' after running that software. Of course it costs money, but they will analyze your computer for free! What a great deal right???

WRONG!

Software like described above is very harmful to your computer. During the free analysis of your computer, the software has a code written in to actually install a 'bug' into your computer to make you freak out once it is complete. The bug is removed only when the purchased software is, well, purchased.

The main theme here is to cover the good, the bad, and the terrible when it comes to downloading software. There are a number of free programs that will speed your computer up, and they are used world wide with out any issues.

The first step in downloading is looking at reviews. Go to Google and type in the software you are looking to download and then type 'review' after it. The Internet community always has reviews on any software that you may want to download. Reading reviews will help determine what is good, what is bad, and what is just laughable.

Some of the major players in software are CCleaner by Piriform. This handy tool does everything that "My Clean PC" does, and it is free... Wait, free? Well, you can purchase either the Professional or the Professional Plus but who needs to pay for a software that will speed up your computer. The purchasing of the Pro or Pro+ just gets you other features that are already available either on your computer or can be downloaded for, say it with me, free.

Small disclaimer, I am not a spokesperson, nor does Piriform pay me to talk highly of their software. I just really enjoy having a fast computer because of them. Nor am I a spokesperson for any software that I am discussing in this blog.

I spoke briefly about Anti-Virus in my last post as an extra. The reason I tacked it as an extra is because there are a number of free Anti-Viruses out there. When asked my opinion, I always go with AVG, the free version. AVG combined with the firewall software that comes with Microsoft Windows is ideal when it comes to safe Internet browsing.

This post has been on my mind since these "free analyst" programs have hit the airwaves on TVs and when I am watching YouTube videos. Without a steady stream of money, they would not be able to advertise. I would highly recommend not buying into their claims of a faster PC. There are plenty of free, and good software out there. You just need to know where to look. If you have any questions or concerns, please email me at the email below, or post a comment on the blog or on Facebook. I am always willing to help out.

I end this post the same way I do every other...

I am open to constructive criticism and also willing to help with steering you in the right direction. Feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Dan Stinson
Stinsontech@gmail.com
C.E.O. of Stinson Technology

No comments:

Post a Comment